Saturday, September 15, 2007

There's no crying in soccer

At least there's not supposed to be. (Okay, so I don't know that for sure... I never played so I can't say I know all the rules.) Maria's not crying because she's hurt or because she lost the game. Is she just crying because her dad's the coach? I mean, what else is there to cry about in soccer?

So... this is how Maria's first soccer game went. She stood on the field, head down, crying while the other girls played (or at least tried their best). Sam, Jack, Luke and I did our best to cheer her up and cheer her on, but we weren't too successful. After we left her behind with Coach Dad to get Jack started on his field, Maria perked up a little and at least ran around the field some. Even toward the ball at one point.

Maybe I was wrong. Maybe it isn't her dad coaching that has her teary-eyed, but her mom on the sidelines.

I guess I'll have the make the ultimate sacrifice and stay home on soccer days.

Bummer.

No comments: