Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Another Afternoon of Beauty

So. Maria and I found ourselves with little to do the other afternoon while The Little Boys were (thankfully) napping.

I decided that it would be fun for us to give ourselves curly hair! I got all excited and asked Maria if she wanted to make her hair curly! After explaining that I'd go first, she readily agreed. Fun!

We broke out the Hot Sticks, plugged them in and waited impatiently for the tiny red dot to disappear, indicating that they were ready to use. Then carefully, with Maria watching, I began to roll my hair around the sticks.

P. I. T. A.

I finally finished rolling my hair. There weren't enough Hot Sticks for us do our hair at the same time, so we had to wait for my hair to set, take them out, reheat them and then curl Maria's hair.

I was able to remove the Hot Sticks without ripping out too much hair (as if I have any to spare). The curls were... ummmm... not very uniform.

I was a tad bit concerned that when Maria saw the results, she'd decline to have her own hair done. Enter the TV. Huge distraction. She seemed not to notice my inconsistent curls.

I reheated the Hot Sticks. Smart mom that I am, I decided to do Maria's hair not in the bathroom, but in my room while she sat on the bed in front of the TV. (You know how they say a nursing baby will let just about anything be done to him as long as he's nursing? Well, Maria is like that with the TV. It puts her into a trance -- at least until real pain strikes.)

I got several curlers in before I got an, "OWWWWWWWWW! YOU'RE HURTING ME!"

Deep breath for both of us.

We continued. Got a few more in before she again claimed torture. But, determined, I did not quit! Throwing caution to the wind, I did the rest as fast as possible. By the time I was finished she had rivers of tears down her cheeks, puffy red eyes and a runny nose. "I don't WANT curly hair!" she screamed at me.

Again the TV rescued me. I was able to get her to wait out the time it took for her hair to set and was able to get the sticks out with minimal (for her) screaming.

Unfortunately, Maria and I both have such straight and flat hair that by the time our photo session was over our curls were about gone. By the time Dad got home from work there was nary a wave left to show him. At least we had pictures!

Despite the terrible suffering and torture she had endured at the hands of her evil mother, the first thing Maria asked me the next morning was, "Can we make our hair curly again today?"

You gotta love that.

P.S. You won't believe this, but she's behind me right now saying, "Mommy, Mommy! Can we make our hair curly?"

What have I done?

3 comments:

Melissa said...

That is so sweet! Waaahhh! I want a girl!!!

James Mortensen said...

I guess some things in life really are worth enduring a little pain and suffering for. Either that or the process was so traumatic as to cause amnesia!

I guess I never realized that mother-daughter bonding could be so intense!

James

Anonymous said...

Me too! WAAAHHH! I want a girl! Lucky duck