Saturday, August 25, 2007

Ahhhhhh... Saturday

I think I'll set my ringtone to the sound of a screaming child, since that's what I hear any time my phone rings. Seriously. You probably think I'm exaggerating, but just ask my sister and new business partner, Margaret. Phone rings, I answer, screaming ensues. And, despite the size of my house, I cannot seem to find a good hiding place.

Jack, Maria, Luke and Sam
Start to wonder where I am
I'm in my room trying to hide
Hoping for some time to bide
I really need to take this call
Now, however, someone falls
Screaming, yelling and some crying
Now my caller hears me sighing
Sorry, sorry, I've got to run
Now nobody's having any fun
Hang up the phone and open the door
I don't think I can take any more
But then I see four big grins
Maybe I can put away the gin :-)

Following the phone call with Margaret, we round up the troops to go shoe shopping for Dan. Why, oh why do we do this to ourselves? What time of day do you suppose it was? Yep. LATE AFTERNOON. I put Sam in the car, who starts to fuss, since he's the only one in there. I grab Luke, shove his feet into his sandals and get him in. Holler for Jack to get his sandals on and get in the car and go in search of Maria. I find Maria in her bed pouting. Hmmm. I carry her to the car, grab her crocs and tell her to get them on and get into her seat. She starts bawling. I run into the house to grab keys and my husband. Come back out to find Maria still bawling. Ugh. We get her into her seat and head out.

I crank the radio in order to drown out Maria's crying as we head across town. I turn around to check on everyone and notice that Jack is barefoot. He gives me a dumbfounded look when I ask where his shoes are. Dan's blood pressure visibly rises. I tell Jack he'll have to be in a stroller at the store since he has no shoes.

After Jack's painful (and, as you can see, filthy) walk across the hot parking lot, we drag the kids into Kohl's and I get Jack and Sam situated in a double stroller. When Maria realizes there are now only single strollers left and Luke gets the seat, the tears start flowing again. And silent they are not.

We make it to the shoe aisle where Sam manages to knock a few things off the shelves and Jack starts screeching just for something to do. Dan switches Luke and Maria around and Luke runs over to mess with Jack and Sam. Jack pokes Luke in the eye. Luke screams.

We split up. Dan heads out to the van with Maria and Luke. I browse some more with Jack and Sam. I manage to find some possibilities for Dan, note their position and head out of the store. I get Jack and Sam into the car and send Dan off to purchase some shoes. Let's hope they last for a long, long time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Susan, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with afternoons like that!