Thursday, October 11, 2007

Not-So-Sweet Lukie

Okay, so I know it’s cheesy, but we have been calling Luke “Lukie” now for most of his life. He even calls himself Lukie. What can you do? His name, however, is not exactly the subject matter for this blog entry.

You may have noticed that I put this entry under the “milestone” category. Now, let me explain that for this family, a milestone is not just a positive accomplishment in the life of a child. No, we count all kinds of firsts.

Today, for example, Lukie marked a milestone that none of the others have yet to achieve (which is actually pretty amazing if you know this gang). Today, Lukie was KICKED OUT of the childcare area of the YMCA.

A medal for this he did not get.

The MANAGER of the childcare department had to track me down during my workout to let me know that our sweet Lukie was beating up the other kids, pushing them around and poking them in the eyes.

“So… ummm do you want me to come get him?” I asked, hoping foolishly that she’d say no. Well, she did say no. Sort of. She said she’d bring him to me rather than having me come get him (guess they were in a hurry to get rid of him).

Once I had him back in my possession, Luke and I had a short discussion about his behavior.

“Luke,” I said, using his real name. “You can’t beat up the other kids.”

“Why?”

“Because that’s mean and you can’t play in there if you’re mean to the other kids.” (Not to mention I won’t get to workout, which is not in the best interests of this family.)

“Ooooh. I’m so sorry mom,” says Luke with his saddest face and tears welling in his eyes.

Minutes Seconds later, the tears dried up when he saw my friend Kristina and realized his “punishment” would be to sit at a table while she and I socialized. (I may have had to give up my workout, but I wasn’t going to give that up, too.) Lulke the Duke

In honor of his milestone today, I think we may have to stop calling him Lukie and switch to something more fitting. Luke the Duke?

No comments: